Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Heading north

So my prayer was definitely either not heard or the sun was tired of hearing my whining and completely ignored on purpose. We woke up to treacherous winds and no sun. I guess I didn't say please no blustering winds, so technically the sun didn't realllllllly do anything wrong. I should have been more clear, I suppose.

We took a ferry from Ko Phag Nan back to Samui for our flight that afternoon. Funny enough at the pier we saw the crazy Irish guys from the truck ride the other day into the island. They looked like they had been hit with a pound of paint and a lot of alcohol. They clearly didn't go to bed at 11pm with aloe. They had gone to the black moon party the night before and obviously not showered off the body paint or brushed their teeth yet. I looked at them, at the choppy sea, and back at them and could see the fear in their eyes - well - stomach.

The 35 minute ferry ride was definitely one of the scarier moments of the trip. The boat looked like it was in no sense in any control. the ocean and wind were doing what they wanted and the boat just happened to not capsize yet. At one point Shannon even asked, "where are the lifevests on this?" That's how bad it was. The guys next to us were a bit talkative but a few rocky minutes into the ride they turned green and shut up. I think they were holding their vomit in for the subsquent 30 minutes. Of course you know we made it to shore without any ferry mishaps and said our final goodbyes to the hungover Irish dudes. How cliche.

While waiting for our airport taxi I had the best thai noodles from a random stand at the pier and yet another coconut chocolate pancake. If you had one you'd know why I had a billion. A semi-close second to Cendol. Oh, sweet cendol how I miss you. I digress (and drool).

We got to the airport in time to check our email and board the plane away from the clear blue oceans, the white sand and the menopausal sun of the islands to venture onto the capital of this beautiful country: Bangkok!

No comments:

Post a Comment