Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Koh Pha Ngan

Day 2

We spent the entire day on the beach today - looking out at our former home, Ko Samui. The day started out with the sun testing our patients, hiding behind some clouds, but then finally shined down proudly. It was relaxing except for the eurobeats that follow me everywhere. The music through the sound system on the beach sounded like it was being played out of a mailbox underwater in the 90s. All the tunes were definitely on my playlist when I was going through puberty. No biggie; nothing was going to rain on my beach day.

We ventured into town and got a foot massage. Mmm. I really like that you can tailor your massage preferences to certain parts of your body in Asia. That sounds dirty but really you can choose your G rated body part (to be honest, you can choose your X rated body part in most parts of Asia but we didn't go to those parlors).

After the foot massage we had Indian food for dinner a the second floor restaurant. We sat watching the Israeli tourists walk by - no matter how hard I try to see them differently, they really do uncannily resemble Long Islanders. We picked a spot that was showing Slumdog Millionaire to have our post-dinner 1.00 beers. It was relaxing except for the intermittent attacking/barking dogs outside the open-air restaurant/bar. Don't get me wrong - the stray dogs and cats are adorable but when they get rowdy they get ROWDY. The funny thing is the natives don't even flinch while the Israelis and I were cringing.

I came home and changed for bed only to find - alas - I had been burned like a leper. This is something I've seen before. It usually happens when I ask someone to put sunblock on my back and they apply forgetting that I'm a redhead and require a total body covering with consistent stroke application. However, this time it was due to my own lack of attention. I was too busy trying to remember what year the 90s song was from to apply in a swift thorough motion. I had burned ears, neck (oh, only one side so as to look even better, don't worry) and some other spotted areas in the midsection that might be considered in the rated X massage parlor. Not too bad for a redhead who once in college on spring break was told by a random stranger that she should seek medical attention due to her random assortment of burns on her body.

So to bed we went. We decided to forgo the "free pool party" that was on the many flyers so graciously pushed into our arms on the walk home. No thank you sir, we are old and in bed by 11. With aloe.

No comments:

Post a Comment