Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Last day at the islands!

So the sun decided to be a huge asshole today and sleep in. . . all day. It downpoured all day long. We woke up in complete confusion. We're at the beach. It's raining. It's like when you get to a movie theatre to find out that the movie starts in 35 minutes - just enough time to do nothing. The whole group stares at each other and hopes the time warps forward. I wished the time would warp forward to the sun deciding to wake its ass up and do its job.

We decided to walk through town and stop and read at an overpriced used book store. We read about Bangkok since that was our next stop. The lady at the store meticulously followed us around and as I took a book out and put it back she was sure to move it 1/800th of an inch from where I had put it. I was really messin up her shop. She also glared at us beating the system: we took notes on all the lonely planets and didn't buy any. Allison and Shannon, 1; Lonely Planet and crazy book shop lady, 0. Take that you old bat. The rain really makes me act like an angsty teen. I apologize.

So it continued to rain nonstop. Shannon was smart on the way into town and bought an umbrella. I thought I could outsmart the rain and dart between drops, apparently. A few hours into the day I realized that was far from the truth. After soaking myself, I bedurdgingly bought a 2.00 umbrella. Oh, the things you try to put off purchasing when you are a poor backpacker. The umbrellas had some strange animals on them and we were sure to never use them again outside of Asia but what the hey, we were finally dry.

We got another massage. At this point, I know you are going to hate me for saying this, but I was getting a bit tired of Thai massages. It was raining and it was the only thing to do! I know, tough life.

After my final massage of the trip, we ate a quick bite of falafel (Little Israel) and window shopped for a bit. After we got tired of the women in the stores following us two steps behind in each store, we went back to the room to watch The Beach. It was one of the movies in Cocohut Village and it seemed appropriate. You know, it's the movie with Leo and he's in Bangkok and goes on a hunt to find this beach off the coast and there is a whole village there. This is actually how we learned how to say the name of where we were - Ko Phag Nan. Pathetic. The last day and we finally knew. And Leo taught us. Bleh.

We went back up to town and I had nachos at one of the open-air restaurants as we watched a movie. Never order nachos in Thailand. What the hell was I thinkin? They were the worst stinkin' "nachos" I had ever had. Oh but do not fret - I made up for it by quickly following it by a chocolate coconut pancake on the street. De-lish.

I went to sleep and said a little prayer to the sun to stop being a little bitch and give us some love tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment