Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bright Flowers and Bright Lanterns




We went to the Botanic Gardens (including the National Orchid Garden) and Chinatown the other day. It was a full-fledged photo shoot so prepare for some beautiful pics when I get the time to upload. The Gardens are huge and houses the largest orchid garden. It was roughly 400 degrees outside but we couldn't wait to get there on our day off (also, no sense in waiting around until it cooled off because that clearly doesn't occur here). There was this weird phenomenon that afternoon: every Chinese engaged couple was there taking photos for their wedding. Did I mention that it was 400 degrees? They men were in tuxedos and the women were in white long heavy dresses attempting to not sweat. Actually there was no attempting; they weren't sweating. I DON'T GET IT. I'm here, in a sleeveless tank, shorts, hair up, and getting closer to dying by the minute. They are there and not an ounce of their makeup is smudged (my face is melting off). It reminded me of the day at the bird park where everyone was in long sleeved shirts and pants and I was wearing an outfit that closely resembled a thong and bra so as not to pass out. I will post pictures that depict me dying and others running along in PANTS. They keep saying I'll get used to it. I'm still waiting.

Anywho, we paid a Sing buck to get into the orchid garden (I ignorantly pronounce the ch as in China each time and then correct myself) and saw some beautiful flowers. My mom would have loved it. My favorite were actually the huuuuuuge leaves that were there. They are legitimately taller than I am (doesn't say much) and so wide. I took a bunch of pics of those. Ironic that I loved the leaves more than the flowers but they were amazing and so overlooked.
Another favorite find at the botanic gardens: defacement of a tree in the name of America. Go U-S-A!
We then went to Chinatown to walk around and eat dinner. It's a fun little part of town where you can eat so much for so little. The streets are narrow and if you look above you can see red lanterns hanging from one side of the street to the other. There are so many stalls to choose from. We actually got some Japonese food in Chinatown, just to be a little backwards. They serve pickled red cabbage and I loved it. They also put everything in soup. Maybe that's why everyone's so dang skinny here. They think they're eating but they're actually getting two peas in broth. That doesn't fool me. I don't just order soup. I order soup in addition to a real meal. I know they are calling us the fat Americans in the kitchen but I don't care. The beers were 50 cents in Chinatown and they are almost 40 ounces. Recipe for a Chinatown disaster after such a dehydrated day in the sun, if you ask me, but we had to. We made it home safe - don't worry.

Fantastic day off filled with sweaty brows, additional freckles added to the nose, beautiful flora, tasty sushi and cold cheap beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment