Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hey kids, they are just freckles

So after 30 hours of traveling, a stop in Chicago and Tokyo, a bottle of free wine, 8 episodes of 24, one racial profile, 2 movies and innumerous uncomfortable naps, I'm here in Singapore! Almost didn't make it when I was told I needed a visa to leave Tokyo to go to Singapore. Funny, because Liz walked right on passed when she is on the exact same trip I am. After I said, "but she's doing the same thing I am," they let me go. Sadly, not the only issue dealing with my odd looks in this part of the world.

The apartment is fantastic - once we got the a/c on. We walked in and immediately shot for the central air and looked out the large windows to all our high-rise neighbors with their windows wide open, enjoying the 98 degree humid air. Thanks, but I'll pass on that. We are right down the street from Tan Tock Seng, the hospital where we'll be working. We're also really close to a few squares - Novena and United - which house a lot of food courts and shops. That is where I first noticed the double-takes and stares.

Apparently Singaporean children have never seen freckles and red hair. As I ate my meals, I pointed out to Liz, my roommate, who was sitting across from me, that children would stare - I mean STARE at me while chewing their food. They'd scoop up more food without even looking down to make sure they got the right fish part on their spoon; I'm much more interesting. I'm going to have to get used to it. Adults do it too, and it's creepy when it's a man, even though I know they are just staring wondering what kind of creature I am. I'm kind of okay when it's a child because they are so darn cute. Which brings me to another issue: Singaporeans, hold on to your children while Allison's in town. I want one. There are so many running around and they're all so tiny. The parents might not even notice one is gone. When I have turned to meet their stares dead on, I've said "hello" and I get a shy smile back, and yes, my heart melts. I'm telling you - I may go Angelina by the end of the trip if I find one who has freckles. That would be much more inconspicuous.

The time change is not easy. It's 12 hours ahead here so basically we lost a day and were exhausted all day today. Hopefully we'll be on target with the jetlag behind us for our first day of work tomorrow.

And to quickly touch upon what you've all been dying to know: yes, my hair has not been holding up well. Goodbye to sleek straight locks. Hello to frizzy inappropriately messy waves. Ahh, humidity. Goodnight for now - wish us luck at our first day of work!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't you take your Chi?! LOL =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not. Wasn't allowed due to the chance of blowing up the entire condo building with the wattage...trust me, if I could have I would!

    ReplyDelete