Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm an angel

You know how I always have said that I wanted the ambassador of Qatar to call me an angel? Well it finally happened today. He has the largest 2 room suite on the floor and just before I left the room said, "you are all angels. You nurses have your own problems and come here and take care of us all day. You are an angel."

As I've said before, there are many patients from the UAE on our floor. Every 3 hours or so, they go to pray in a room that has been designated the prayer room; we hear the prayers through the halls. Apparently if you are sick, the Koran allows you to not pray, but many still do. The women do not go to the prayer room; they stay in the hospital room and pray there.

These patients know how to have babies. They each have an average of eight children. I'm not going to say it's because they were trying to land a male, but they were trying to land a male. They each have a few older women and then usually one man. The jackpot, per se.

So my Arabic is coming along horribly. I've always prided myself on my grammar and yet I have to stare at the names of islands and names of patients here and sound like a second grader. But then again, who else has been called an angel by the ambassador of Qatar? I'll take sesame street phonetical pronunciations any day after that title.

No comments:

Post a Comment