Thursday, June 18, 2009

Random act of awesomeness

I am on my 2nd (and final, thank god) night shift of this rotation and did something I'm pretty darn proud of. I come in at 7pm and check over my patient's reports, labs, etc. I come across something interesting. She has a right leg DVT (deep vein thrombosis, or clot) and they put an IVC (filter) in today, while I was at home trying to sleep. I say trying, because while I'm ecstatic the Singapore economy is booming, it is impossible to sleep with surround sound construction on all 4 walls of my apartment during the day. Back to tonight . . . so I realize that the write up from the procedure describes the left leg and goes into all the details about the insertion. Interesting.

I read over everything multiple times so as to not point something out and be wrong. Yep, I am confident. I go to the doc and tell him that they did the procedure on the wrong leg of my patient. He looks at me like I'm some dumb nursing student (am I?) and looks over the charts. After about 5 minutes of him looking through the charts in silence, he looks up at me and shakes my hand.

I'd just like to reinforce that I am awesome.

1 comment: